First off, I would like to say that rain sucks. Flooding sucks….and frizzy pink hair is NOT a fashion statement. Speaking of frizzy pink hair, I need to have my hair cut. If you have any great ideas of how I should cut my hair, please let me know. Throw a picture in the comments down there. My hair is past my shoulders, which is too long. I have so much hair that anything below the shoulders really overcrowds my face. I’ve been putting it off, because a haircut will mean that I’ll need to re-bleach and over-dye the pink….but with all the rain and humidity, I really need a style update!
Test Sock Blanks
I’ve continued with the sock blank dye tests. I’m knitting off one right now – Scarlett O’ Hara gradient dyed – and it is wonderful. Aside from the fact that my bands of color are way too wide, it’s going well. Getting the blank dyeing down to a science is going to take a lot of test dyeing and knitting.
Gauge is of course an issue. My Bond doesn’t like to knit super tightly. Then there is of course the slight fact that machine knitting requires a certain amount of skill and knowledge that I don’t have…but am aquiring by jumping into the frying pan. The Bond knits quite a bit more loosely than your average sock knitter, so the 60 stitch wide blank that I’m knitting from doesn’t accurately show how long the color repeats will be on an actual pair of socks. I started at the green end of this blank, and now that I’m nearly to the heel turn, I’m almost finished with the first color. Um, yeah….that’s going to need some tweaking.
I can dye faster than I can knit, so I now have three test blanks waiting for me to get to them. The first is a simple gradient of a test colorway. The second is my Mariner colorway painted in diagnal stripes and the last is Sweetheart painted in vertical stripes. The vertical stripes should create very short color repeats across the blank, rather than a self striping effect. We’ll see how I did once I get them all knitted up. Good thing they’re sport weight!
Besides the sock blanks, I’ve been dyeing up other self striping yarns…which will need knitted up for photography. Sigh. I think I’ve added about 6 new “skeins” to the “must knit” pile and so far this week I’ve ripped out one almost complete pair of socks (too tight) and knit half of another pair. Oi. I’d better get knitting!
Let me know what you think of the blanks. They’re going to require quite a bit of business research and wrangling to become a viable business venture, so if you really would like to see them, let me know. It’s always nice to know you have some backing before plunking down hours of time and lots of funds.